Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Interesting Jimmy Carter article on Equality

Although I don't agree with Jimmy Carter's statements that certain verses in holy scriptures have been seemingly cherry-picked to exert power and abuse over women (I think religion (majority) has been responsible for misogyny in a lot of ways), I was surprised and rather impressed at this article he wrote called "Losing my Religion for Equality." He actually severed ties with the Southern Baptist church and moved to work with other (non-Christian) leaders to end the mistreatment of women around the world. That is actually really awesome. He even went so far as to say the idea that Eve caused Adam's (and all of humanity's) Fall (thus why she needs to be subjugated) is wrong. Again, I think this is one of the main points of the Bible, but still, good going, Jimmy! Baby steps, baby steps... Here's the Article: Losing My Religion for Equality

No comments:

Post a Comment